Friday, February 15, 2008

Top Ten List ... How I'm Going to Spend My Rebate


Just this week, after little debate, and a lot of fanfare, President Bush signed his $168 billion emergency economic recovery plan into law. Under the plan, individuals making up to $75,000 a year will receive a rebate check for $600, while couples earning up to $150,000 are eligible to get $1200.

Like most Americans, it so rare to get change back, that I’ve had to do some soul-searching to prioritize how I will spend my refund while at the same time upholding my patriotic duty to help our ailing economy recover.

Here are my "Top Ten" picks:

10. Buy a removable disguise for Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke so that he can cash his paychecks at any bank without being recognized.

9. Get yoga classes for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi so that she can keep bending over backwards for the President.

8. Sign-up for a one year subscription to a credit repair service for the U.S. Treasury. After all, if they’re going to borrow against our children’s future, the least I can do is help them get a better credit score.

7. Get a tank of gas for my Chevy Suburban. With a fill-up, you get a free car wash and one of those plastic air fresheners shaped like a tree to dangle off your mirror.

6. Throw a pizza party for my accountant because this will be the first time I’ve gotten a refund without having to use it to pay his bill.

5. Make a $600 down payment on a $4000 flat panel TV so I can watch bigger than life summer re-runs of “Deal or No Deal.” I’m told that hi-def lets you see the secret clues the network projects each week on to Howie Mandel’s shiny dome .

4. Make a $600 down payment on my new vacation house in Detroit. For $1200, I may be able to get a 2-fer.

3. Buy $600 worth of shares in troubled mortgage lender Countrywide Savings. Hey, it’s simply good business to buy low-sell high!

2. Send a $600 donation to GOP presidential nominee John McCain just because it will piss-off Rush Limbaugh.

1. Establish a 24-hour consumer hotline in Shanghai so that the Chinese can tell us how they really want us to spend our $600 rebate.

As you can see, I haven’t yet made up my mind. In the coming weeks as all of us continue to check our mailboxes, please let me know how you plan to spend your rebate. I'm open to your suggestions.



To learn more about my market recommendations, visit my website at:www.globewestfinancial.com.

No comments: